One of the most significant mentors in my life is my mother. The Lord has given her a unique wisdom that has repeatedly given her "just the right words" at a time when I needed them most. I called her today; I just wanted to chat with her. Near the end of the conversation, having discussed cancer, fear, the imminent death of an old friend and the overall uncertainty of life, she referred me to Romans 8:26.
"...the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans." The King James Version says it this way; "...the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." There are times when I come to the Lord and don't know what to say. She assured me that coming to God with wordless prayers is just fine. The Holy Spirit Himself agonizes with wordless groanings, too. He knows that some circumstances are beyond words.
I hate the uncertainty that sometimes bombards us. How do you pray when there's no clarity, emotional highs and lows and no adequate words? You groan. Well, we're in good company; the Holy Spirit Himself groans with us.
No comments:
Post a Comment