Thursday, February 10, 2011

Refuge

Proverbs 14:32 - "When calamity comes, the wicked are brought down,
but even in death the righteous seek refuge in God."

I recently heard the challenge, "What sets us apart from non-christians?" Given the warm-hearted character of many people, I had to admit that there are times when everyday life doesn't set me apart from anyone else. It would take a conversation with me to discover that I'm a believer in Christ.

Or would it? Can I possibly have a testimony that unmistakably rings of eternal truth? Perhaps disaster and death will provide that opportunity. When we've lost everything, even life itself, what do we have?

We have a refuge in God. There is nothing... nothing... that assures my heart like the fact that my refuge is in God my Saviour. When calamity comes crashing in around our heads, believers have a refuge to which we can run.

Frankly, I've wondered how my persecuted brothers and sisters do it. They sing when they're hanging upside down and boiling water is poured over their bare feet. They dance for joy when both of their parents have been martyred. They determine to return to the country where they know they will face some of the most intense persecution in the world if caught. They shout praises as the guillotine is readied above their heads. None of that sounds like life in a refuge. If we look into their faces, we'll see the tears; we'll also see the peace of a heart that has run to the strong fortress of their Saviour. It's the peace that surpasses all understanding.

I am learning from their beautiful example. I extend that invitation to you as well. Of course, we don't support them so that we benefit; but you will find lessons in living in our Refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment