Monday, October 8, 2012

B.L.T.

I'm thankful for B.L.T.s!

Of course, I'm thankful for a ton of other things, too, but as I was counting my blessings this Thanksgiving weekend, my mind ran across this story.

After my father and brother *died, my mother continued to work with her friends in the North to help establish solid disciples there. Her grief continued to dog her every step, though. While she knew that the Lord was her strength, the loss was sometimes just plain overwhelming. Her good friends wanted to find some way to lift her sagging spirits. The solution? A B.L.T.

Mama loves B.L.T.s. It had been a long time since she'd had one, though. We lived "in isolation", meaning that the ingredients were nearly impossible to come by. If you could find them, they were ridiculously priced. Her friends figured her encouragement was worth far more than the money they'd spend on a B.L.T. To this day, this sacrificial gift from her brother and sister in Christ holds a very special place in her heart. Because they touched our mother's heart, they're precious to me.

The Body of Christ has been there repeatedly throughout our lives. If I were to compile a list, I'd be sure to miss someone. Instead, I'll thank the Lord for my Christian brothers and sisters... and B.L.T.s.

What are you thankful for?

*(The accident was in May, 1964; I was two.)

No comments:

Post a Comment