![]() |
| A favourite corner with only a tiny bit of "kids' stuff" left |
In a few years, and part of it is a reality now, I won't have the grin that got that kid out of trouble way too many times. I won't have that same grin drop kick me out of a surly mood and have me laughing in thirty seconds flat.
I won't have the sunshiny laughter that was a constant when this child was little. I won't have wall to wall teens from the same child's parties.
I won't read the volumes of silent messages in those dark brown eyes. There won't be the daily hugs and gurgling laughter (literally).
I won't be amazed at the constant growth in skill that magically touches the paper when that kid connects her pencil to a paper.
Neither will I hear impromptu concerts as each one practices, read amazing stories, poetry and essays or bite into the dishes I've never mastered but they seem to create with ease. (Pancakes are still not my favourite endeavor!) I won't hear the depth of wisdom of children and teens who are just discovering the world and the God Who created it.
I would never hold my children (for lack of a more adult term) from exploring the entire world. I've tried to be forward thinking in my approach to parenting. "What will benefit this child in the long run?" "What are his/her dreams and how can I help fascilitate those dreams but maintain the fact that they're this child's dreams?" "How can I teach this biblical concept in a way that is meaningful now and 'sticky' in the long run?" Of course, there's always the question that every mom faces. "How do I teach this young person that cleanliness really is a wonderful thing?"
I sincerely hope I don't give the impression that I've always had the answers or if I did have an answer, that I wisely implemented the most mature method in bring the answers to reality. My kids know I haven't. I do have a bit of advice for young moms, though. Identify what's important. Stick to that, even if it drives you to the brink of insanity sometimes. Biblical truth is infinitely more important than all the toys and trinkets that make your child smile. Making the tough choice to insist on character when comfort is easier is still wise and always will be. Cleanliness? Teach your children to take responsibility. Be ok with the fact that they probobly won't "get it" this week, next week or even five years down the road. Try to keep this front and center; your child and his/her ongoing growth is far more important than a constantly shiny floor. You'll have your shiny floor some day. You won't always have your child's wonderful presence. Take time to truly enjoy each other's company.

No comments:
Post a Comment