A popular chorus several years ago was based on Micah 6:8. We swayed and smiled as we sang, mentally rehearsing all of the ways in which we've pleased God. We likely had done a lot right. In looking at it again, though, I don't see this as a pat on the back.
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.
In the context, it's a call to repent. Micah 3:1-3 rebukes the leaders and prophets of God's people for their blood lust and says, "Should you not embrace justice, you who hate good and love evil...?"
In light of this, it's a reminder to not allow our notions of how good we are to cloud our view of how we can grow. In our individualistic mindset, there's the potential to look at ourselves and say, "Yes, I'm growing." If there's any application to anyone beyond the spiritual leaders of Micah's day, it's in the character of God that we're to reflect in the world. As a group, whether that's our local church, our national denomination or the entire body of Christ, we need to be at the forefront of exemplifying godly justice.
On an additional note, I realize that I quite often emphasize holiness and truth. Justice has become a buzzword, so I've almost shied away from it. God doesn't. We're to love justice. Godly justice is based on truth will lead to holiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment