Sunday, November 5, 2017

Coloured ribbons and conversations

The Flames wore purple today; they wanted to raise awareness for cancer. Great. Go for it. I have a friend who is also wearing purple, but for a different cause. This is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Someone else mentioned that purple represents domestic violence. The list that we found actually named 35 causes just for purple ribbons. (See this list.)

I have often wondered which campaign I should promote. What do I wear that will automatically raise effective awareness for any disease, tragedy, injustice or charitable cause? I could go with cancer. We've certainly been touched by cancer on both sides of our family. Maybe I should select heart and stroke awareness. I know I'll need to watch for symptoms as I age; that's in the family, too. I could go with rare diseases or conditions for which there is no diagnosis. If there's a disease for Ryan, I don't know what the name of it is. Maybe g-tubes? Trach tubes? Epilepsy? (There have been two in our family that we know of.) Incontinence? (Yes, I'm open to discussing that.) Abuse? (Pick a type, if you like.)

The fact is, I'd have to plaster myself in ribbons if I were to "raise awareness" for everything that breaks my heart. Am I saying that others shouldn't wear ribbons? By no means! I'm just saying that I find myself unable to pinpoint one cause so clearly that this colour is the one I will wear.

If you know me, you'll know that one of my ongoing passions is for persecuted Christians around the world. Clearly, that's not my only passion. I long for the day when any First Nations person and any Eurocentric individual can sit down and share a good cup of Tim's as though it were only natural. I deeply miss those loved ones who have died of cancer, and I celebrate with those who have beaten it. I would love to see every person on the streets warm, fed, clothed and housed. I wish wrists would never wear scars again. How do I share these and many, many more passions? How will I be heard? How will you be heard? By a ribbon? By a banner next to a table at a conference? With a Facebook profile picture?

We raise awareness by having the conversation. That responsibility rests on all of us. If we see someone wearing a ribbon, it's an open invitation to talk about it. If you're not sure what it's about, don't feel foolish asking. They'll be thankful that you are willing to engage in that discussion. If a person gravitates to a particular topic, find out why. If you feel strongly about something, say it nicely, but say it! Have the conversations that matter, but be open to hear what the other person has to say. You'll be richer for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment