Sometimes the things you pray for only seem to get worse. The heartache I see among the First Nations of North America frequently enters my prayers. I've prayed that deep healing will come; that suicide will be replaced with hope; that brokenness will be overtaken by deep, inner healing; that respect for the ancient people of this land will win over distrust and bigotry. I especially pray that the message of God's eternal love through Jesus Christ will be that source of healing.
I've been thinking about the people of Israel in captivity. They were told that, once they are freed and come into the land that God has promised, that they are to serve Him faithfully and make a habit of remembering what He has done. The promise to Abraham still held, even when they were struggling through the aftereffects of slavery; the people of Israel would be a blessing to all nations.
I don't see any nation other than the Jews as "the chosen nation," but I do see an interesting pattern in the way God works. God gives His promises; God works to deliver us from whatever holds us captive; God fulfills His promise; God calls us to share what He has done with everyone around us.
I envision a day when First Nations pastors and Bible teachers not only lead their people, but they know such deep and beautiful healing that they are a major influence among all nations. I recognize that there are many with my ancestry that have hurt and continue to hurt other races. A phrase I picked up in teaching my children is, "Broken people break others." Not all broken people break others, but if someone is hurting someone else, it is not from a place of wholeness and confidence; it is always from a place of brokenness. I long for the day when my First Nations brothers and sisters take all of us by the hand and lead us to right relationships. I believe the process has begun. I hope we listen. May God bring more First Nations people to such a place of healing.
No comments:
Post a Comment