Friday, May 10, 2013

Some thoughts on being called

You shall make the breastplate of judgment....And you shall put settings of stones in it, four rows of stones: The first row shall be a sardius, a topaz, and an emerald; this shall be the first row; the second row shall be a turquoise, a sapphire, and a diamond; the third row, a jacinth, an agate, and an amethyst; and the fourth row, a beryl, an onyx, and a jasper. They shall be set in gold settings. And the stones shall have the names of the sons of Israel, twelve according to their names, like the engravings of a signet, each one with its own name; they shall be according to the twelve tribes.... So Aaron shall bear the names of the sons of Israel on the breastplate of judgment over his heart, when he goes into the holy place, as a memorial before the Lord continually. And you shall put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim, and they shall be over Aaron’s heart when he goes in before the Lord. So Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel over his heart before the Lord continually.
(Exodus 28:15-30)

Very quickly, before I clean the remnants of last nights relaxation, I want to get this down. I've been reading the instructions from God regarding temple details, priestly garments, measurements for layouts, etc. All too often, I've glazed over this section, assuming there's nothing there for me.

Wrong. One of the passages that has particularly intrigued me is priestly role as expressed through the breastplate. The names of the twelve tribes of Israel were inscribed on the twelve stones. The high priest's role was to carry God's people on his heart to the Lord. I am impressed with the fact that this is the role to which God has called me; to carry His people on my heart before Him. I pray that if I can be an encouragement and blessing to them, that I do so faithfully. As I hear their stories, see their faces and come to love them, I have no choice but to be a voice for them.

Enter www.persecution.net.I suppose I could see it as colour, design, myriads of code and a regular responsibility to keep it updated and professional looking. I could see it as one of the websites I develop and support. I don't. I see it as God's call at this time in my life. I am asking God to engrave His people on my heart so that I can faithfully present them to Him and to others in the free world.

No comments:

Post a Comment