Sunday, May 12, 2013

Fallible and Finite

I'm sitting at the computer while Jim and the kids make lunch. Those who know me know that I wrestle a bit with this. How do I sit still and do nothing while they chop veggies and steak, cook everything and wait on me? I'm probably at least as aware of my shortcomings as they are; maybe more and don't quite feel qualified for this service.

Isn't that what Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays and anniversaries are about? We celebrate those people in our lives who have touched us, deeply or not, and spend an entire day celebrating Imago Dei (the image of God) in this person. Instead of shrinking away from being waited on, I need to accept the gift my family offers. I recognize my shortcomings. So do they. They love me and honour me anyway, and appreciate the things I do right.

Actually, as we move through the day, I realize that celebrating the fallible (those mess up) and the finite (those who have an end) can sometimes carry pain.

This can be true as we recall our or another's fallibility. I hope I can move beyond rehearsing my own faults and celebrate all that I do have. Five amazing kids, counting my son-in-law, two amazing grandkids (I just haven't met one yet), a very faithful husband, my own family that loves me, Jim's family, the local Body of Christ, the worldwide Body of Christ, awesome friends, reliable spiritual leaders... I think you get the picture.

It's also true as we recall human finitude. Jim posted a picture of his mom, and it was a reminder of all that she invested in her family, often without anyone knowing her sacrifice. It was also a reminder that she's not with us; there was some pain. In fact, the massive crowd that shed intense tears when she said "Good-bye" is testament to how significantly she impacted those around her. Her earthly life was finite. Even so, we continue to celebrate her. She's been with the Lord for over a year, now, and as we look back, we realize again the rich heritage that she passed on to us.

Several people have wished me "Happy Mother's Day!" Thank you! I think I will, despite fallibility and finitude. Lunch is starting to smell really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment