We bought a PVR a couple years ago. We can watch the programs we want, when we want and interrupt them at will, not when the ads dictate. “Wait, what did he say?" No problem! We’ll just rewind.
I’d like to rewind my story back… never mind how many years. I decided in my early twenties that I wanted to make Philippians 3:10 my life verse; I wanted to know Christ. Oh, sure there was the part about "the fellowship of His sufferings.” I had heard Richard Wurmbrand’s testimony first-hand, but persecution was a reality I wanted to sweep into the corner of my mind along with all of the other uncomfortable truths that rattled my paradigm.
Let’s grab the remote again and fast forward to July 18, 2015. Place this Sunday morning against the backdrop of having worked with VOMC for several years. I had heard amazing testimonies of faithfulness in horrific circumstances. As we flip through the scenes of this story, we’ll also see several times in the previous weeks when Philippians 3:10 had come up again.
The sermon was on… yup, Philippians 3. We were challenged to confront whatever kept us from giving Christ first place. As I stood singing the closing song, conviction hit. My story had heroes, but Christ was not at the top of that list; persecuted Christians were. I’ve seen them as brave “Super Christians” that by their very nature condemn my North American Christianity. The fact is, they’re just as human as I am, in all of my maddening faults. While we are encouraged to learn from one another, this truth is foundational; they have shocking testimonies of inhuman strength and endurance because they serve Jesus Christ. He enables them to walk faithfully. He is the amazing One. He is the Hero!
No comments:
Post a Comment