Many years ago (don't ask), I attended Bible school. In the first year, I learned about the Pentateuch, History, Poetical Books, etc. I discovered that Armenians and Calvinists can exist in the same place and not eat each other alive. (They "can"...) I learned that there are more study books out there than I'd ever be able to count. So many ways to study scripture, so many opinions, so many discussions to be had; how was I to make sense of it all? I also discovered just how much I love to learn. I couldn't get enough. It seemed like a worthy pursuit. After all, doesn't 2 Timothy 2:15 tell us to study?
Fast forward an unnamed number of years. I now work in web development, which graciously provides me with a constant learning curve as we're bombarded with new CSS commands, more CMS updates and greater security measures. (Lost? Don't worry about it; it's just some of the stuff we have to know at JimBits.) Add the blissful challenge of a graphic designer's "baby" (artsies get it), and I have to ensure that every pixel is lined up exactly as requested, regardless of the browser and device the site visitor is using. I might sometimes totally mess up my hair by scrunching it in my clenched fist, but in the end, I love it when the site finally comes together.
I was thinking about all this as I was preparing the Persecution & Prayer Alert for the Voice of the Martyrs Canada. I wanted to make sure the words weren't wrapping incorrectly, single letter words end up in the right place, the text is far enough away from the images, yada, yada, yada. I made a small edit on the "Previous Updates" pages so that the online experience of our visitors is more consistent as they flip from page to page. I formatted the PDF... and somewhere in there, it struck me again. I had failed to look at the story. In so doing, I had forgotten to remember them (Hebrews 13:3).
In all of my study of scripture, in my web development and maintenance, as I sign kids into their Sunday morning session, I strive for excellence. Confession time; often that excellence overtakes Godliness. I become so focused on "doing it right" that I completely lose sight of the call of God on my life. He has first of all called me to know Him. He has also called me to be active in the Body of Christ, building it up for His glory. Whether that's hearing the heart of a mom who's discovering the faithfulness of God to her family, praying for yet another Christian who could well lose his life because he loves Jesus, or simply making a website look good for God's glory, I need to first find a quiet place and refocus on the Lord. Godliness comes in the unhurried moments when I rest in His presence, allowing Him to direct me in every aspect of my life.
The next time you see me or talk to me via email, Skype, VSee or Facebook pm, feel free to ask me, "So how is your Godliness faring?" I'll try to be honest.

No comments:
Post a Comment