Thursday, July 5, 2018

Another look at that dropped stitch

I guess I like reading the Psalms, although I admit, some of them are hard to process. Psalm 139 is one of those for me. I wrote about it in this blog two years ago. I read one of the verses differently today. The phrase, "Your eyes saw my unformed body" made me realize that he sees every unformed body, including our son's. His brain missed the memo that it was supposed to grow all of its cells. As a result, his limbs came out stuck in a fetal position and didn't start moving for several months. His left arm is still there. His body is unformed. God sees his unformed body.

I recently had the joy of studying the character of God in the context of suffering. One of the emphases I studied was the fact that God weeps with us in our suffering. While the context of the study was persecution, I also believe that the vulnerable at any point on the globe hold a very tender spot in God's heart. He not only sees, but He weeps with each one. (See this study for more on that.)

Fair warning, this paragraph will give some examples. You may or may not want to read it all. I replay these scenes often. God was there with Ryan when infection ravaged his post-op abdomen and it burst open. He was there, agonizing with Ryan when every breath took all of the energy Ryan had and he was slipping in and out of consciousness. As Ryan was fighting through seizures that lasted a few hours (called "status"), our Lord took a ride on STARS as the best of the best medical team fought to save his life. When Mom held Ryan down so they could bore a hole in his leg to flood his body with life-saving meds, I think God felt that same pain... and God wept. 

God is there. He sees the unfinished things, the broken things, the grossly unfair and the horrific. He weeps with us. In every circumstance, this still holds true.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand --
    when I awake, I am still with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment